Friday, December 22, 2006

Franny

"It's everybody, I mean. Everything everybody does is so- I don't know- not wrong, or even mean, or even stupid neccessarily. But just so tiny and meaningless and-- sad-making. And the worst part is, if you go bohemian or something crazy like that, you're conforming just as much as everybody else, only in a different way."

"I'm not afraid to compete. It's just the opposite. Don't you see that? I'm afraid I will compete-- that's what scares me. That's why I quit the Theatre Department. Just because i'm so horribly conditioned to accept everybody else's values, and just because I like applause and people to rave about me, doesn't make it right. I'm ashamed of it. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody. I'm sick of myself and everybody else that wants to make some kind of splash."

J.D. Salinger is dangerous. He has a way of popping up at moments when he seems all-to-relevant. And if you're wondering, Ian, yes, I am the one who stole your book. Or did you leave it behind? Another piece of flotsam?/jetsom? in your wake.

3 Comments:

Blogger waterdancinside said...

splash!

11:41 AM  
Blogger slow low flying turkey said...

oh writers. some of them have such a way of saying exactly what you mean in such an eloquent better-than-you way. perhaps i should return to my writerly dreams of yesteryear. though that would, perhaps, be trying to "make some kind of splash". or would it?

i think it's all about touching people, and if you have to make a splash to do it then so be it. but it's not the only way. whaddya think?

perhaps i'll come to vic for my birthday. wanna go for a 2am walk to the ocean, pop some shrooms, put on some iron and wine, hope for snow?

i guess it's silly to try and recreate perfect moments... that's one of my favorite memories though. thanks for partaking.

love ya

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah that was an awesome night agreed- good to remember it
...
and congradulations on your decision natalie to go over there, right or wrong its a decision.


but the passage is nice (i'm afraid that i will compete)
-
that all production of culture (in the sense of personal culture like splashes)is about personal expression and this never changes regardless of the degree of the 'splash'-
so maybe the real poets are the ones who never put anything down, the ones who are just living, man. (man does, woman is) also this ties into jarrad's work on the valuing culture as one that kills things of value- ie life is one long splash sisters and brothers.

but if you're right kerria and the deal is to influence others than it would make sense to strive for the broadest publication and distribution of thoughts possible? hmm...

and fuck herpes, fuck tablecloths.

noah

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home