Monday, July 31, 2006

we be gettin down with the Ganga

it's time to lose my shoes
it's time to bump and cruise
through the swaying crowd
the bright and proud
and fight myself a place
cuz we be gettin down with the Ganga

there's mamas and their babies
old men well past their eighties
there's saddhus and there's arahants
there's young men wearing such tight pants
we're clinging to the brown and muddy shore
cuz we be gettin down with the Ganga

the music starts to trickle run then surge
it's a holy frantic urge
mighty river bhajans
and so i'm clapping my hands
singin om hari om hari om
cuz we be gettin down with the Ganga

a clap is just a brief prayer
it hangs a moment there
a prayer is just a long and silent clap
so get those hands up off your lap
keep the beat and pray
cuz we be gettin down with the Ganga (with no delay)

in falling dark my feet get cold
i feel the current taking hold
i'm washing out my mouth and eyes
washing off my dreams and sighs
i want to speak an see the truth
cuz we be gettin down with the Ganga

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

d-dam natalie
that was a nice poem.
so your going on the char dam, awesome! by the time i left haridwar it was already filling up with more saddhus, must be chaotism by now.
well im glad your enjoying yourself.
got a nice picture you took of me and eben on the ganges, we kinda look like saints or just skinny and besiged by worms.
which places are you going to? I went up that way with my dad but none o the big treks were open so we went via rudpryag (i think) up to a temple called tungnath which is where shiva's chest landed and is pretty near kedarnath methinks...

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home