Saturday, June 10, 2006

would you like some sex with your bananas, madame?

calling all ladies! feel like your social life needs a bit of a pick me up? look no further than the resplendent isle! i wish that i had known this BEFORE heading to southern sri lanka...

apparently, lots of solo women flock to the o-so-beautiful southern beaches in order to get some sweet sweet lovin', which is happily provided. now, mahesha had warned me about this (he called the willing young lads beach boys) but i thought he was being hyperbolic. nope. pretty much every young man (and some old- creepy tourist information place man- ewww) had something to offer. and we're not talking the indian-style grab-and- go type of harrassment. we're talking dinner dates, offers of drinks, free drugs, romantic walks on the beach. of course some were more blunt, such as the fruit vendor who, after i purchased some delicious mangosteens, handed me my bag and asked "would you like sex, madame?" i started laughing then, really hard, which was probably rude but i couldn't help myself. anyway... i SOMEHOW managed to restrain myself from taking a beautiful, lithe young sinhalese man home to bed with me every night. good god.

i can't say too much to sum up my sri lanka experience. why did so many people ask for some of my water and then giggle a lot after drinking some? mystery mystery... i only visited one buddhist temple... a beautiful country with many problems, but it didn't touch me as deeply as other places have. maybe because i always felt my return to india singing happily along in my heart. i will always treasure meeting mahesha and the perspective he gave me on the country, this much is true. also, i loved that there were women out in the open in sri lanka and that many of them talked to me; travelling, working and having fun, unlike in india where they slink along like multi-coloured shadows. and sri lankan men? there's apparently a saying here: when the water pot is half empty it makes a lot of sloshing sounds when you carry it, when the water pot is full it makes no sound. unfortunately, most men in sri lanka are half-full water pots. or, more simply, to quote mahesha: "sri lankan men's brains don't work very well."

lordy lordy have the last few days been unusual. i headed back into colombo the day before my flight and ran a bunch of errands. o yah, and spent two hours stroking things in a store that sells hand-woven, hand-dyed textiles... but let's not discuss that. then, because i didn't want to spend 400 rupees on a hotel and then 1200 rupees on an autorickshaw to the airport i decided to take the public bus (hell! hell! hell!), which costs 25 rupees, and sleep at the airport! i arrived 12.5 hours before my flight, "slept" lightly on top of my backpack until 4 am when i was allowed to check in, wandered around like a zombie in the duty free shops (brains! brains! overpriced brains! mmmmm....), debated getting drunk on cheap liquor, and then finally boarded for my flight at 7 am. i couldn't help but think that eben wouldn't have put up with such foolishness and would have come up with a much better solution. o eben, how competant thou are! my way worked, and that made me feel real grown up cuz i did it myself, but of course it had to be in a ridiculous, chaotic natalie style.

and how is india? land of bum-butting cows, head-smacking saddhus and baneful pariah dogs. well, i was welcomed back by a general strike over oil prices meaning that everything was closed. i hadn't eaten since breakfast the previous day, thinking, "don't waste money on airport food, wait for the delights of trivandrum", (there's a great restaurant there). not so much. i finally scrounged up some dosas and other items in and around the train station.

i left trivandrum for the 3rd time in a month and headed for cochin today, which seems interesting but its story has not yet been told.

before i depart i must make a call for addresses! i don't know where anyone is living anymore and hence cannot send you happy little post cards. o, and mini, my email address is thenatmaster@gmail.com. use it. word.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha i just sent you an eamil and then read this! nub sent it to me.... he beat you!

i miss you little one.... and now you two must email me

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home