Thursday, April 20, 2006

may i have this dance?

health centre the first (macleod gang): i begin to put my insides outside at an alarming rate. a trip to the hospital and a "normal" stool sample prompts the doctor to decide that nothing is wrong with me.

13 hour night bus to delhi later.... fever begins, bowels working overtime without pay.

health centre the second : you can talk to the doctor on the phone.

health centre the third: doctor takes pulse, writes prescription.

health centre the fourth: doctor takes temperature (now back to normal) and writes a prescription.

i opt against the random prescriptions. for a change in the porcelaine scenery, blood appears. is it normal to visit the loo 40 times in one day?

health centre the fifth: after a few questions they slap me in a white gown, stick an IV in my arm and ask for various bodily fluids in various cups. for the next few days widely assorted teams of doctors (primarily sikh men) appear in lineups next to my bed and mistake me for the pilsbury doughboy. poke. poke. poke. i do not oblige them with a "hoo hoo!". they seem elusive about what is actually wrong with me. after the ultrasound i become convinced that they are hunting for a humungous tapeworm nestled deep within me. so, i lie about for a few days, occaisionally taking my IV stand for a tipsy little waltz to the bathroom. it handles about as well as a shopping cart. if they had any idea of my clumsy nature i'm sure they would have thought better than sticking a pointy thing in my vein, attaching it to a wobbly pole and covering the whole thing with lots of glass bottles, tubes and valves that are way too easy to tip over, tangle and open. but the nurses were very patient and kind in helping to sort me out again... every time... finally they take out the IV, tell me i had salmonella and let me leave.

look mom! no parasites! best birthday present ever (and i only spent 17 hours of my special day in hospital).

how did i decide to celebrate my first day back to good health? by going to a mosque that had scare bombs go off in it less than a week ago, getting shoved in my IV arm by an asshole man (as so many seem to be in delhi) and then eating a big bowl of curd with a dead bug in it.

india, you sure know how to treat a girl right.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow sounds good my dear and i thought i had it bad in protugal.... well happy birthday my dear i miss you little lady!!

monkey

4:38 AM  
Blogger immutabler said...

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

8:03 PM  
Blogger immutabler said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home